Sunday, March 16, 2008

Volunteer Work = Great Exercise


Thursday my husband and I volunteered to help pass out food for a county organization. We both grabbed a bottle of water and headed for the armory at 7:45 am. We weren't sure what to expect but were looking forward to helping in some way.

Wow...talk about a great workout. We spent almost 4 hours loading 30 pounds sacks of food off the floor into a grocery cart and then taking the cart to a client's car and unloading it. Depending on the family size, they got either two or four bags. Up and down....back and forth...wow...I could really feel it in my legs and my shoulders after a couple of hours.

I forgot to bring my pedometer so I'm not sure how far I walked. I wore a pair of cheap tennis shoes with no support. My feet started hurting after a couple of hours. The hard concrete really takes a toll on my feet. Next month I'm wearing a good pair of shoes. I usually wear cobbie cobblers...they are great.

I really enjoyed helping this organization. This was the best workout I've had in a long time. I woke up Friday morning with sore arms, sore shoulders, and sore legs. I wonder how many calories I burned. I've never been sore after working out at the gym. I guess it goes to show I don't push myself hard enough on the machines.

I met some nice workers as well as nice participants. People were so genuine. I heard some heart-wrenching life stories from a few of the clients. I sympathized with them and put them in my prayers.

This day was not only a great workout on my weight loss journey but an eye-opener to the despair felt my so many in this community. I hope my words of encouragement and prayers help.

(I retired from the post office. This postage stamp says it all.)

Read More...

[Source: Fatty Weight Loss]

No comments: