Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Losing A Dear Friend

I met Debbie 30 years ago at college. It was my first day of my first class. I was a bit nervous as I was 28 years old and hadn't studied in so many years. I saw an empty seat next to a woman that looked to be close to my age in the back row and headed right for it.

That day was the beginning of a lasting friendship. It was also her first day of class and her first class as well. We figured it must have been God's Will for us to meet. Although we had never met, she was from my home town. I recognized her last name and had a vague memory of one of her sisters.

I still remember when we graduated Junior College. We were assembled in the cafeteria as a group before going to the auditorium for the ceremony. As we were waiting, my name was called. My heart dropped. I figured I must have flunked my final in Geometry and wouldn't be graduating. To my surprise, I was handed an envelope with a gold tassle. Wow, I was graduating with High Honors. I knew then, Debbie's name was going to be called too. Yep, she also got a gold tassle for her efforts. We were so proud of ourselves that night.

We transfered to a University and continued our studies for another four years, graduating with a Masters Degree. After graduation, we didn't see much of each other. Our jobs lead us in different directions.

I ran into Debbie about 4 years ago at the grocery store near my mom's house. It had been over 10 years since we had seen each other. I told her I had just moved back to town and gave her my address.

It was great having a Christian friend back in my life. I'll always remember the Bible studies and prayer meetings we had.

Debbie spent most of her life helping the poor and homeless. She'd teach God's Word while trying to find people a home, a job, and get them clothing. She never had much money or possessions but still shared with others.

I moved down south little over a year ago. She called about 6 months ago and planned to come visit. Money was always tight so she wasn't sure when she was going to make it.

I have the newspaper sent down here. Although I have no intentions of ever moving back there, I still like to keep up on the hometown news.

I was so shocked last week when I read the obituraries....my girlfriend. Debbie, had died!! She was only 59 years old. I had sent her a Christmas card but hadn't got a response. I hadn't really thought much about it. I figured she probably didn't have money for cards or stamps. Something was telling me I ought to give her a call. I kept telling myself....I'll call her some other time.

I was equally surprised to read she died on my birthday. I'm still feeling so bad. I wish someone would have called me when she got sick....I wish I would have called when that little voice told me to phone her.

Debbie is going to be missed by many.

Read More...

[Source: Fatty Weight Loss]

No comments: